1260


I rode my bike 1260 miles in 2006.

I think.

I kinda ran my bike computer through the wash in March, and while I'm pretty sure there were about 250 miles on it at that point, there might have been more. The actual mileage from March through December though was 1010. It took me 56 hours and 26 minutes to ride that distance, which makes an average speed of 17.9 mph.

So you probably think that's pretty good, huh? Well, to me it's another New Year's resolution down the drain. In 2005 I rode 1444 miles at about the same average speed, and I resolved to ride further, faster in 2006. So much for that one.

I guess in my defense I could point out that I took two more weeks off work during the summer than I usually do, and since most of my riding is the 16 miles round-trip to work, I lost 160 miles during peak weather right there. Plus at the end of the year I was sick during some of the last good riding weather in November and December.

This is the point where the hardcore cyclists say "Then break out your cold-weather gear, you wimp, and get on that bike!"

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm working on it. I've got some new tights on order that should keep me warmer than my current pair. And I have been feeling a little cooped up and lazy lately. I'll try to get out there soon.

But what really blows my mind is how little any of this is in the grand scheme of cycling. Take the Tour de France. It is kinda the World Series of cycling, and it is longer and more difficult than any other race, but just consider this.

In the 2006 Tour, Floyd Landis rode 2272.4 miles in 89 hours, 39 minutes, and 30 seconds at an average speed of 25.4 mph. That's in 21 days of cycling.

Almost makes you tired just looking at it, doesn't it?

I'll spare you all my usual rant about how Floyd was framed and just say this: his comeback in stage 17 was the most brilliant piece of athleticism I've ever seen, testosterone or no.

I can't wait for July.

Comments

Cat Herself said…
Well look at you - two posts already and it's only the 6th! Good going! You can find my blogs at:
http://caterwauller.blogspot.com and http://caterwauller.livejournal.com/

The first is mostly knitting and pictures. The second tends to have my book reviews and other junque. Welcome to the online world of journalling!

Popular posts from this blog

Barackary Clintama

Who's on First?