Flickering

Here we are at the end of week 3, and I'm just getting around to posting now! In my defense, I've been a little busy since last week with getting my stepdaughter off to college. Conveniently, our task this week is to investigate and play with Flickr, which I was doing anyway in order to document the move in.

I've been a little slow to get on board with the photo-sharing movement. Mainly that's because I don't normally have a lot of photos to share. I've been aware of Flickr for some time though, so when my brother and sister-in-law had their baby, I immediately went to Flickr in order to share the pictures from her christening. Since then I've mainly been using it to keep my family up-to-date on what's happening. So conveniently, here's what I've been busy with since last week:


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

The only downside to Flickr is that there's a monthly limit on how much you can upload unless you pay. I suppose that's fair, but in my wife's case it drove her to Google's Picasa. About the only downside to Picasa is that it doesn't have all the cool sharing apps that Flickr does.

Obviously I'm anticipating thing 6 here, playing with Flickr's own internal badge creator. I think the most surprising thing to me about Flickr is how many different mashups there are out there, and how cool a lot of them are. I'm particularly fond of Mosaickr. I've always wanted to be able to create those photomosaics myself. Now I just need to upload enough photos to do it decently.

The other Flickr mashup that I really like is the Flickr "related tag browser". For some reason, the way this displays just seems to me to be more intuitive than Flickr's own search engine. I also suspect that I'm getting better results out of it. For example, when I searched for pictures of the 2008 Tour de France in Flickr's search engine, I seemed to get a lot of unrelated images. Not to mention that it seems to be a lot easier to browse through, with the large number of related tags it pops up around the image results.

So have fun poking around! I've really been enjoying all the Flickr apps everyone else has been posting!

Comments

Cat Herself said…
Loved seeing the pics of Abby's move-in. LOVE LOVE LOVE her hair! If I get mine cut off, will J do that for me, too?

Popular posts from this blog

Barackary Clintama

Who's on First?