Hillary Just Lost My Vote

I suppose at this point it's fairly well known that Hillary Clinton was searching for a campaign theme song. Overlooking the obvious questions as to why a political campaign needs a theme song (Bill made a good point with Fleetwood Mac in 1992, since then it's been gratuitous), this has been a fairly entertaining series of events. It got her scads of attention. There was clever marketing around it on the web. Involving the public seemed like a good idea.

Unfortunately, the public are morons.

Today we find that the masses have spoken and have selected Celine Dion's "You and I" as the winner.

Huh?

Okay, putting aside the fact that Celine Dion... how shall I put it... sucks, has anyone outside of Quebec even heard of this song? Probably not, because it's atrocious! At least the release video, a spoof on the Sopranos series finale, was clever and funny (although dear old Bill was wooden as ever in delivering his lines. How can someone who can give good speeches be so horrible at delivering lines?).

But you want to talk about vast, right-wing conspiracies, has anyone checked who was voting for this thing? I mean, look at some of the contenders! The Police's "Every Little Thing She Does," U2's "Beautiful Day," and Lenny Kravitz's "Are You Gonna Go My Way" (Hey Obama, need a campaign song?). How could Celine Dion win out over these? She shouldn't even have been in the finals.

I'm just waiting for the day we have a candidate who, when asked about music, will talk about the Clash and the Cure and then say "Dude, have you heard the new Wilco album?"

Never gonna happen.

Comments

Steve said…
She lost my vote a long time ago (although might win it back if the Obama campaign doesn't stop calling me!), but I have to agree with you on the song. My favorite bit about the song is that it was originally written as a jingle for Air Canada. She'd have been better off pulling a Supreme Court and overriding the contest results. :)
Doug said…
Well, I'm an unregistered voter so that means in Massachusetts I can vote in either party's primary, but I have to choose one.

Problem is that I want to vote in both so I can vote against Clinton and vote against Giuliani. If either one gets their party nomination our nation will be one step closer to being royally screwed.

Who would I vote for? Oh I dunno... I suppose Obama for the Jackasses and Ron Paul for the Woolly Mammoths.

I doubt either one of them stands a chance though based on the odds.

Popular posts from this blog

Who's on First?

When Marketing Goes Too Far...