Letting it all hang out

I don't think I'm old. I really don't. I'm only 33 for crissake. So why am I starting to sound like an old fuddy-duddy about clothing trends?

We have several kids who for whatever reason can't be taught in a classroom so they send them to the library with special tutors who will try, desperately, to at least get them to graduate. One young fellow, as with many his age, had decided that wearing jeans that were 3 sizes too small was cool. I have no idea where this idea originated in its current form, but speaking as a guy who once grew 8 inches in a year, wearing jeans that are even 1 size too small can get pretty uncomfortable.

An unfortunate side-effect of wearing jeans this small is that it's essentially impossible to get the waistband over your ass. So these fashionistos solve the problem by hitching their underwear up to the appropriate level so that basically you see them in their underwear.

Of course, since the pants are too small and are belted, when you bend over the underwear gets pulled down and... well, you get the picture.

Unfortunately, he had to bend down in front of me and a customer to use the printer.

Now, when sagging was popular I got it. Big baggy pants are comfortable. They can hide a lot of contraband. And of course if you wear pants that are 3 sizes to big they're going to fall down.

And I even understand skinny jeans to a degree. After all, I grew up in the 80's. But there's a difference between cool skinny jeans:And dumb skinny jeans:Notice that you do not see ass on the Clash.

Comments

Doug said…
Must be a mid-western thing. I still see local high school kids smoking outside the school wearing really baggy pants around their knees.
WDL said…
not hot. i will never understand trends. classics are best - even if they are uncool for long periods of time.

and i've been dealing with the crack issue a lot lately. women and low cut jeans + thong panties + sitting in open back computer chairs= WDL feeling oddly ill & old men and teen agers leering at her tukas.
*shudder*

xo,
WDL
Cat Herself said…
I haven't seen the too-small jeans problem yet, as I'm still suffering from the too-large jeans problem at my library . . . accompanied by the obligatory slouching-walk-while-holding-them-up thing. Sigh.

Popular posts from this blog

Barackary Clintama

Who's on First?