Take a Hike

We got out for a hike this morning, and we’re going to try to do that every morning weather permitting. I’m grateful that we live in a place where beautiful and wild places are minutes away. I’m also grateful that we don’t have a shelter in place order and most likely won’t thanks to the small size of the community and our low population density. I feel for my friends in New York and San Francisco who no longer have this outlet.

But I think the most important thing I was grateful for this morning was some space: a break from being up to my eyeballs in news and updates and decisions related to the current situation. While social media has been a great benefit during this time in many ways-- up to date information, fun diversions, connection with friends near and far-- it has also created an environment where it’s very easy to begin to lose hope, fall prey to worst fears, and get sucked into pointless battles about which conspiracy is true or not.

My advice for all of you, my friends, is to get outside if you are able, and if you are not to find some other way to unplug from the crisis. Greet your neighbors from a safe distance. Sing, tell jokes, create art together. Find ways to connect and build community in real life and not just online. The world you see through the lens of social media is only one very small aspect of our vast and beautiful universe. Make sure you give yourself a chance to pay attention to everything else.

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barackary Clintama