Snow!

That's right folks, we actually have snow in central Ohio. And not the little piddly crap that usually passes for snow around here. Real, honest to goodness snow that you can sink a shovel into and that makes the people around here who have snow blowers not look like idiots. For once they actually closed the library for good reason!

And it's still falling! This has got to be the most snow I've seen in one snowfall in the 12 years we've been living here. I had forgotten having to clear the steps just so you could get out of the house. I had forgotten the snow being so deep you couldn't tell where the path was. I had forgotten how it clings to your pants leg when you step in up to your knee. I had forgotten what it was like to have to clear your car off not just when you left the house, but also when you got out of the store you were at.

While 12 inches is a respectable snowfall anywhere, it is kinda amusing to watch the city shut down the way it would if there were 3 feet in the northeast. I actually did go out (thank you, Subaru) for coffee and to do some grocery shopping, and as of 10:30 this morning one of the major roads near my house looked like it hadn't seen a plow since the middle of the night. The other major road was minimally better, but not much. When I came back the plows had hit that road, and managed to plow in the side streets. Fortunately the owner of the Chinese market at the end of my street had shoveled the plowed snow out of the middle of the road so I could actually get through.

So now we begin the fun that is watching people who have no clue what to do with this stuff try to get around in it. I had already seen three abandoned cars on my way to the stores, and there probably will be more as people get themselves into drifts they can't get out of. Spinning tires can be heard all over the neighborhood. And we'll probably have the inevitable "I shoveled that parking spot out, so it's mine and you can't park there" squabbles. At least they're prediciting rain and highs in the 50's by next weekend, so this won't last long.

So for a little while at least I can pretend I'm back in New Hampshire, and that there actually is such a thing as winter instead of grey drizzle.

Happy snow day, everyone!

Comments

Cat Herself said…
Ya, well, if you're feeling particularly brave and Northeastern . . . feel free to trek over to the Heart Attack House (mine) and help shovel tomorrow! For a variety of reasons (drifting, wind, lack of experience, lack of muscles), Simon hasn't been able to shovel much today. LOL
Cat Herself said…
OH, and according to the news, we have 20.4 inches of the fluffy cold stuff. Even by NH standards, that's a lot . . . right?
typealibrarian said…
We spent some time laughing at our house about how the news kept calling this the blizzard of '08. Deep snow is not a blizzard. I have lived in this town my whole life, and this doesn't even compare to the real blizzard of 1978. Though I have to admit, this snow is pretty deep. I almost lost my 90 lb labrador in it when she went out yesterday. The library is back to business tomorrow, as it should be. However, school has already decided to close. Just too many folk living out on those country roads 'round here for the bus to get through. At least we kept the power this time, unlike the ice storm a couple of years ago. We could still feast on grilled cheese sandwiches (mostly because the only food in the house was bread, cheese and butter.) Oh yeah, we had a jar of pickles too!
Suddenly Human said…
Meanwhile back here in the ''real'' NorthEast... I had to shovel out my sugar house just to get inside it...and when I finished the remaining snow was over my head.

Admittedly I'm not very tall, but you'd think the recent rain would have melted a little bit of the stuff....

On the other hand, I can reach the higher tap points without a ladder this year.

Popular posts from this blog

Barackary Clintama

Who's on First?